Because you’re reading this article, you probably already know how to make money with Amazon’s affiliate program. Maybe you’ve already built and hosted a website in hopes of making some money with the program, but if you’re not sure how to go about it, you’re not alone. Here, I’ll list some easy steps to help you get started with Making Money on Amazon.
- Learn the basics of HTML. If you don’t know it already, this is the perfect time to pick it up. HTML knowledge will help you cut costs, and it will give you more flexibility. Most sites have WYSIWYG editors (what you see is what you get), but you don’t have much flexibility in text formatting, hyperlink creation and other money-making tasks. There’s a wealth of information online, and you’ll learn the basics in no time.
- Decide what niche you’ll fill. If you’re going to do reviews or make recommendations, or promote a certain product, ensure that your niche is narrow enough that it will be easy to fill. For instance, you could do a site on scrapbooking, classic car repair or salsa dancing.
- Choose a good domain name. This is perhaps the most important step. Choose a domain name that’s rich in keywords, to help with search engine optimization. The name should be relevant to your chosen niche. Put together a short list of options, in case your first choice isn’t available, or be willing to choose another domain extension such as .net or .info.
- Register your chosen domain name. Many web hosts are set up to allow for quick domain registration, but if you don’t go that route, you can register it on your own through another site. Once your domain name is registered, it’s yours to use; registration costs range from $10-$20 per year.
- Set up hosting. This step is where you need to exercise caution – there are wide variations in price, but not in quality. Even if a particular web host offers a huge set of tools, the average user doesn’t use most of them. Don’t pay for what you won’t use! It’s easy to find hosting for as little as five dollars per month, and for unlimited sites, you can find hosting packages for a monthly cost of as little as $10.
The five tips I’ve given here should give you a good start on building a money-making affiliate site. In Making Money on Amazon Part 2, you will learn the final steps in making great money on Amazon.